Monday, November 28, 2016

Christmas Tree Advent Calendar

Hey guys!  It's been forever since I last posted, I'm really sorry about that.  The whole "life" thing just keeps getting in the way.  Plus I've been on project-hiatus for a while now.  It seems like everything in the works was finished and I just never started anything new.  It's hard to paint and redo furniture in the winter because I usually do everything in my garage or driveway, and it's way too cold for that in the winter.  

Anyway...I finally have a little DIY project to share with you!  This is my advent calendar Christmas tree.  
I started doing this last year after my makeshift picture frame advent calendar kept falling apart.  Turns out this was so much easier!  Plus, as we took each day off the tree we replaced it with the Christmas cards that came in the mail.  So functional!

 Here's a list of supplies you'll need to get started:

*A smallish Christmas tree - I got ours with my Rite Aid rewards during an after Christmas sale for 90% off back in the day when I used to coupon, circa 2010.
*Gift tags - Mine are from Target Dollar Spot last year.  They came in a small canister and had something like 50 tags plus twine for $3.
*Markers or any other writing utensil of choice - I happened to have metallic Sharpie paint pens in my stash.
*Something to attach the gift tag to the tree - I used clothes pins from Target Dollar Spot from last Christmas.  I think they came in a pack of 10 for $1.  You could also use string or twine to loop through the tag and hang on the tree.
*Christmas scriptures/stories about Jesus - I found a list of scriptures that includes verses from both the Bible and the Book of Mormon since we're LDS.  You can find the one I used here, or search for your own on Pinterest/Google.

Every day includes a scripture to read in hopes that our children can learn more about their Savior, ending with the Christmas Story in Luke 2 on Christmas Eve.  It also includes some type of family activity for that night.  These activities include providing service for others, making treats or crafts, doing something kind for someone at school, wrapping presents, etc.  They can really be anything you want.  I planned mine around my work schedule and how much time we would have in the evenings with our kids' various after-school activities.  Here are a few examples:

 Plan on one for each day 1-24.  Before I started writing everything on the tags, I made a rough draft of the calendar events for the month so I knew what was already planned, when I had to work, and what we could realistically do each day.  So I kinda threw my list away and had to dig it out of the trash for a picture, but here's my copy.  Days of the week on the left, day of December next, scripture verse(s), and activities on the right.  I penciled in when I was busy and had other obligations so the kids could do something easy with their dad while I was gone (since I'm usually the one who does all the cooking/crafting), as well as when we had scheduled Christmas parties or other activities.  After that I filled in all the blanks with easy Pinterest ideas, food, or simple acts of service.

I transferred everything onto my gift tags after I finished the rough draft.  Here's a list of non-Pinterest activities we're doing:
*help someone feel included
*act out the Nativity
*be kind to someone in need
*make and decorate cookies
*watch a Christmas movie and eat popcorn
*write letters to Santa
*say "hi" to someone at school
*family game night
*open a present
*deliver neighbor gifts
*deliver Christmas treats to friends
*tell someone "Merry Christmas!"

Here are links to some of the food and crafts we're planning to do, but you can also check out my Christmas Pinterest board for more inspiration.  My kids are 8, 6, 3, and 1, so I chose things that would work best with my older three.
Construction Paper Christmas Tree
M&M Christmas Story
No Sew Pillows
Fingerprint Snowmen
Nativity Gingerbread House
Thumbprint Christmas Lights
Peppermint Popcorn
My children really love this new Christmas tradition we started and they look forward to it every year now.  They absolutely love crafting and spending time together, and they talk about it throughout the year.  I hope this idea helps your family grow closer to our Savior and closer to each other.

xoxo, Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment